12 Mar 2015

Throwback Thursday

Throwback Thursday is a monthly feature where I highlight an older book, whether that be a childhood favourite that brings back memories or a hidden gem that I feel deserves some recognition.

 For the first Throwback Thursday, I thought I'd talk about the book that made me love reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I don't think I really need to add a synopsis, but just in case:

Synopsis (from GR):
Harry Potter thinks he is an ordinary boy. He lives with his Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and cousin Dudley, who make him sleep in a cupboard under the stairs. Then Harry starts receiving mysterious letters and his life is changed for ever. He is whisked away by a beetle-eyed giant of a man and enrolled in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The reason: Harry Potter is a wizard!
 I come from a family of readers. We gift each other books we love for birthdays and Christmas, we recommend books to each other and generally shove books in each others faces. According to my mum, I could read with a bit of help by the time I was three, and by the time I started school I could read on my own. However, I don't think I'd love reading as much as I do if it weren't for Harry Potter. I found out about the series after the release of Goblet of Fire was featured on the news, and I went to the school library to hunt down a copy the next day. The librarian kindly informed me it was the fourth book in the series and gave me the first instead, and the rest - as they say - is history. I was constantly rereading the series: as soon as I finished the most recently published book, I would start reading Philosopher's Stone again.  At one stage, I was able to recite paragraphs from memory. It genuinely excites me that a new generation is discovering these books because they are magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger