2 Jun 2015

#TTT: Top 10 Books I'd Like to See Adapted

I was particularly excited for this week's #TopTenTuesday! Whenever I read a book, I somehow always end up imagining how it would look onscreen (blasphemous, I know). It's strange - rather than telling original stories, the film and television industries are adapting so many books these days. Even non-fiction books are being successfully adapted, with shows like ANZAC Girls and Call the Midwife appearing on our screens. Admittedly, I don't read much non-fiction (although I am currently giving Call the Midwife a go!), so most of the books are fantasy novels. As many are trilogies, I'd love to see them adapted into television series - they all have a lot going on in terms of politics and mythology and general back story, and I feel that a television series would be better able to explore these worlds. Even standalone novels can have too much for one film to include, so I'd rather see them as mini-series than actual films, ideally.

10. Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey 

Jasper Jones is, without a doubt, one of my favourite books to ever come out of Australian literature. It's like an Australian To Kill a Mockingbird; a joy to read and heartbreaking all at once. It's filled with all the things Aussies do best - underdog characters, prejudice, struggle, hope - and I can just picture it on the silver screen. It would be this generation's The Castle! Except less laughs. More tears. And PoC.

9. Ashbury/Brookfield series by Jaclyn Moriarty

I think that these books would work well as a series of feature films, especially Feeling Sorry for Celia, which is timeless in its ability to portray what it's like as a teenager.  Even though I find The Betrayal of Bindy Mackenzie to be the weak link in the series (and I am a Bindy Mackenzie stan for life, guys), as a teenager I found these books to be incredibly relatable as a teenager, and Moriarty manages to blend humour and drama seamlessly.


8. Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness

When Hollywood's love affair with The Hunger Games and Divergent is over, please send Chaos Walking its way. This series is utterly original, so inventive and packs and emotional punch. Seriously, I think it has the potential to be the next blockbuster hit. Unlike a lot of dystopian YA - Divergent, I'm looking at you - it doesn't feel like the romance is the real driving force, and the dystopian setting is just packaging designed to get people interested.


7. The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker

I have SO MUCH LOVE for this book. SO MUCH. I can imagine this working as a mini-series - a two hour film is too short, but as a stand-alone book, it wouldn't work as a television series (maybe Netflix could create a thirteen episode, one season adaptation of it). There's a lot of flipping between PoVs and periods in time and threads to weave together, so you'd need the time. Firass Dirani as the Djinni and Odeya Rush as the Golem, yes?

6. Villette by Charlotte Brontë
It is 2015 and I am yet to have a four-part miniseries adaptation from the BBC. C'MON, BBC! It's Brontë's best work, what are you waiting for?!

5. Dreamblood duology by N.K. Jemesin
Unlike a lot of fantasy, Jemesin based her fantasy world on Ancient Egyptian society, which made for an utterly fascinating story. Ninja priests, guys. Ninja priests! 

4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor
I can see this happening as a four-part feature film series, but it could also work as a television show, I feel. I mean, I could be biased - I really love television shows, because as viewers we're given so much more (and I can imagine as an actor - one of the main cast, anyway - it would be incredibly satisfying because you'd have so much more to work with) - but... you know. We could go deep into the mythology of Taylor's world. We could flip between the chimaeras and angels as they prepare for the war. Zuze and Mik's date from A Night of Cake and Puppets could be a filler episode! I'm dreaming big with this one, guys.


3. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater

Dear studio execs, I'm just throwing it out there: a film adaptation of The Raven Cycle would be delightful. For a series that I thought I wouldn't like very much, I spend an awful lot of time talking about this series. Maggie Stiefvater is a gift, and so are these books. Please adapt them, pronto.

2. Colours of Madeleine trilogy by Jaclyn Moriarty

I love this series so, so much. It's completely original and funny and so carefully, carefully plotted. I am hanging out for March 2016 when the final book is published. It was one of those series where I was expecting something light and fluffy, and got something else entirely. The second book is full of political games, and throws you completely. Throw away comments in A Corner of White become full-on plot points in Cracks in the Kingdom. It's a brilliantly written series, and as a television series? It would be amazing to watch.

1. The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta

I cannot put into words how much I want The Lumatere Chronicles to be adapted. In a perfect world, HBO would pick it up as a three-season show, and it would feature Australia's finest up-and-coming actors, and Melina Marchetta would be the show's head writer (because we couldn't have a bunch of script writers coming in and spoiling the books. It could end up heading towards Game of Thrones territory, and we can't have that). Can you imagine? It would be glorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger