17 Jun 2015

Wishlist Wednesday

I have now banned myself from buying multiple copies of the same book mostly because I don't have the room or the money to buying so many editions (although I am saving up for the Folio Society's editions of Pride and Prejudice and Emma, which I've talked about before). However, if I did have the room (and the money), here are some of my favourite books that I would buy again in a heartbeat.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (Folio Society Edition)

Synopsis (from the Folio Society): Anne Shirley falls in love with the rambling farmhouse called Green Gables the moment she sees it. Unfortunately she is not quite what Marilla Cuthbert and her brother Matthew were expecting: they had applied to the orphanage for a boy to help on the farm, not a skinny eleven-year-old girl with a head full of romantic notions. At first Marilla is adamant that Anne should be sent back, but her heart relents when she hears about the girl's wretched life, and Matthew - though he would never interfere - is clearly already bewitched by the spirited red-head with a temper to match her hair.


I already own two copies of Anne of Green Gables - I purchased the entire series at the beginning of the year after falling in love with the hardcover editions that Tundra released late last year and I also own the Norton Critical edition of AoGG. This one is gorgeous, though.  Look at the illustrations! So cute!




Speaking of gorgeous editions of Anne of Green Gables...

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (Puffin in Bloom Edition)

How cute is this cover? It took all my self control to not purchase this when I purchased A Little Princess and Heidi from this series. ALL OF IT. I may have to break my promise to myself because more books in this series are coming out and THE DESIGNS ARE JUST SO FANTASTIC, YOU GUYS.






Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (Folio Society Edition)

Plot Synopsis (from Folio Society): ‘“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents,” grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.’ This famous opening line sets the scene for the beloved coming-of-age story of four sisters growing up in a quiet New England town. Their father is away serving as a chaplain in the Civil War and money is scarce, but the girls invent their own amusements: they act plays, write stories and – most importantly – learn to lead good and financially independent lives.

Again, I already own a hardback edition of Little Women (the Penguin x Mr Boddington's Studio edition), and while this edition is tempting (all of my favourite things when it comes to book design - the gold foil detail! The gorgeous illustrations! A good colour palette!), its hard for me to justify purchasing it at the moment. JUST YOU WAIT, FOLIO SOCIETY. MY BANK ACCOUNT'S COMIN' FOR YA.




At this point, I may as well mention the Puffin in Bloom edition of Little Women, because I want it also: 

Anna Bond's art work is just so distinctive and gorgeously done. I think my favourite thing about the Puffin in Bloom series is that the books are linked with an overarching theme of young girls discovering who they are is people and finding their place in the world, and the covers somehow seem to capture that. I also love the decorative endpapers with all the important characters/objects in the books. It's a WONDERFUL series, guys. If you have nieces and daughters - OR if you want to encourage your nephews, sons, younger cousins to read stories centered around girls - you should purchase this series for them.


I feel like I should also point out that because it's the 150th anniversary of Alice in Wonderland, just about every publisher in existence is releasing a special edition. Puffin is teaming up with Anna Bond of Rifle Paper Co. AGAIN and we're getting this gorgeously illustrated edition:

Source: Vanity Fair
 
 So, there you have it - the sound of my bank account breaking!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger